Desperate to manage fleas in your home? We know exactly how to help! Northpest have plenty of experience in managing Northland flea infestations; making us the perfect team to call when your fleas get out of control.
Fleas thrive in hot, humid weather, which is exactly what we’re experiencing right now! The best way to avoid a flea infestation is to de-flea your cats and dogs with a good quality flea control product (such as Advantage or Frontline, available from your vet or Pet Essentials) at the intervals recommended on the packet.
Fleas are most often a problem after a house or premises have been left vacant for a week or more (often occurring during the holiday season). This is because when there is a host available, such as your cat or dog – and you! – the fleas have a food source, but once the pet and people have been removed, so too has the flea’s food source.
The adult flea can live without a blood meal for more than 100 days, and the flea eggs can remain dormant for several months.
This is why when you return from holiday you’ll have hundreds of fleas jumping instantly all over you… They’re starving! The adults are hungry and the eggs have just hatched from a combination of the heat and the vibrations you make when you return. You’re just the meal they’ve been looking for! If you get to that point, you really do need assistance. Luckily, we’re here to help.
Northland Flea Treatment with Northpest
We carry out an interior treatment to all flooring areas, sub-floors (dirt areas underneath the house) where applicable, and pet bedding areas. This is the most effective way of dealing with an infestation. An average price for an average house is approximately $200, with prices usually ranging between $150 – $250 depending on the size of the house, your location and whether or not there is a sub-floor.
Best flea eradication products:
- Bug Bomb with Residual Insecticide – for a general de-bugging, one can will treat a 150m2 area, however for flea infestations, this will treat a 45m2 area so more than one will generally be required. Don’t forget to allow one for the sub-floor if you have one as this is often the source of the problem with not only your pets but also neighbouring pets. The residual will last for up to six months.
- Residual Fly & Insect Spray – to keep control of fleas, apply to carpeted areas, pet bedding, and any other areas where fleas are known to be present. Fleas can also survive outside in these hot, humid conditions, so this can also be used in kennels, around pavers and even flower beds where cats/dogs like to sleep. Ensure people and pets vacate the areas after spraying and allow time for the product to dry.
- Fly Spray Dispenser & Refill – having a fly spray disperse at regular intervals will help to break down the life cycle as it will kill adult fleas on contact. Positioning this in the centre of the house is best so that it is distributed throughout the house and not sucked out of the first open door/window.
Top tips for successful flea removal:
- Mark on your calendar when your pets are due to have their next flea treatment – time flies and it’s so easy to forget when they were last treated.
- Use a good quality flea control treatment for your pets from your local vet or Pet Essentials, supermarket brands are not as effective.
- Vacuum regularly especially around areas where pets frequently lie.
- Wash pet bedding regularly on a hot wash.
When you’ve tried everything, but those fleas keep biting: call Northpest and our friendly team will get the job done!